BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Melbourne

My partner Simon and I had the opportunity to visit Melbourne on the weekend. We were invited to the 50 wedding anniversary of my company's senior partner Tom Lowenstein.

We stayed at The Olsen Hotel in South Yarra. This hotel is full of the wonderful artwork of John Olsen, one of Australia's most loved artists. Every room is full of his artwork. Then we had the privilege of attending the luncheon for Tom & Sylvia Lowenstein. A lovely affair with many of their friends and Australia's artists and gallery owners.

As neither Simon or I have been to Melbourne in quite a few years it was a treat. Driving through the city is a little different to Sydney as they have hook turns to turn right because of the trams, but once you get your head around those it's not too bad.

Staying out of the city in South Yarra was nice. The traffic was a little friendlier and the shopping in Chapel Street is fantastic. So many boutique shops, unlike Sydney with all it's oversized shopping centres full of franchised shops. We perused some lovely independant art galleries as well as some vintage stores which Melbournians love.

We ate at some very nice establishments. I love that they have wine bars/coffee shops where you can go into a restaurant and have just a glass of wine or a coffee without having to buy food. It was a nice change. I believe Sydney is just starting to introduce these now. There is one being renovated in Oxford St, Woollahra next door to where Simon works at Flight Centre

The fashion is quite excentric. I love it! I have to go back for more. I think next time will be a shopping weekend with my daughter and we can visit more art galleries. Oh so much to see and do, so little time xx

0 comments: